Monday 5 March 2018

Christmas Lasagna


Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love helping my mom cook Christmas dinner. This year I made a veggie lasagna with almond milk based Kite Hill Ricotta, Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Slices, Trader Joe’s Beefless Ground Beef, and Organic Green Lentil Lasagne by Explore Cuisine.




My sister did the grocery shopping for this dinner, and I’ll admit I was skeptical when she came home with Green Lentil Lasagne instead of the brown rice lasagna noodles I asked her to buy. I’ve had a lot of experiences with lentil, corn, or quinoa pasta quickly turning mushy, but these Green Lentil Lasagne noodles turned out to be delicious, and held their consistency when I reheated the leftovers days after Christmas.

This recipe can easily be made gluten free by removing the Beefless Ground Beef. I usually make my own ricotta with tofu and cashews, so this was my first time using these ingredients and they were overall very good! Although, I would have replaced the Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Slices with my favorite Daiya Mozzarella Shreds.  

Ingredients

  • Organic Green Lentil Lasagne
  • Zucchinis – mandoline sliced lengthwise
  • Mushrooms – thinly sliced 
  • Fresh Spinach Leaves 
  • Fresh Basil Leaves
  • Fresh Arugula (optional) 
  • Olive Oil
  • ½ Yellow Onion – thinly sliced
  • 4 Cloves Garlic – minced
  • Tomato Paste
  • Sea Salt
  • Pepper
  • Trader Joe’s Beefless Ground Beef
  • Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Slices
  • Kite Hill Ricotta

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven according to the instructions on the lasagna noodles. 
  2. Slice the zucchinis lengthwise with a mandoline. Lay the thin pieces of zucchini on sheets of paper towels to dry out while you assemble the rest of the ingredients. 
  3. Thinly slice the mushrooms and yellow onion.
  4. Mince the garlic.
  5. Sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in a large pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper. 
  6. Cover the bottom of a deep baking dish in a mixture of the tomato paste and marinara sauce, followed by a layer of the lasagne noodles (the kind I used didn’t need to be pre-boiled), then another layer of the tomato sauce, a layer of the ricotta, a layer of the beefless ground beef, a layer of the sauteed mushrooms and onions, and then a layer of the zucchini. 
  7. Continue layering until you run out of ingredients or fill the baking dish. I always top my lasagna with a layer of the noodles, marinara, and the veggies before placing it in the oven. 
  8. Bake according to the instructions specific to your lasagna noodles. I baked mine uncovered, and added the final layer of vegan mozzarella cheese 10 minutes before the dish was done. The mozzarella should look golden when it is ready.
  9. Enjoy!


from WordPress http://ift.tt/2oLcbEf
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment