Friday 13 April 2018

[Question] Vegan-ish guy trying paleo / LCHF today – Now I feel sick!

So, as the title implies.. I have been eating primarily a vegan or whole food/plant based diet for about a year or so with the occasional cheats (butter/cheese in foods when eating out) or occasional small addition of meat into my meals (sprinkles of pancetta in something) but primarily was a pretty healthy vegan. To give you an ideal of what my meals looked like -> overnight oats with vegan protein powder, mixed berries, seeds, etc.. – lentil/bean based curries, rice/beans with veggies and tofu/tempeh, sometimes would do Ezekiel bread with veggie “burgers” when lazy, nuts and seeds and dried fruit for snacking, green smoothies (typically spinach/kale mixed berries and frozen bananas or avocado). Typically I would use very little oils or fats outside of nuts/avocados.

But the past few months I’ve been in a bit of a psychological rut do to life circumstances and not keeping up with the protein green smoothies or the protein powder in the oatmeal.. or whatever – basically I was not focusing on making sure I had adequate protein and slipping up with more junky foods – I noticed my body started loosing muscle (I didn’t have much to begin with but now it’s pathetic) and I felt weak when carrying things, etc..

After perusing forums, listening to podcasts, (JRE, Tim Ferriss, Rhonda Patrick, Robb Wolf..) I decided last night that today I’d start with my rough idea of paleo/keto or just a rough idea of a LCHF diet.. I put some heavy cream into my coffee this morning and went food shopping filling up on meats and veggies. I ended up not eating anything (besides that coffee with cream in the AM) until 4pm where I steamed a ton of brussel sprouts then sauteed them in some bacon fat, tossed with garlic, and sprinkled some bacon on them when completed – while simultaneously pan frying a grass-fed strip steak (0.6 lb) in some of the bacon fat and garlic. It was a fantastic meal but within an hour my stomach was making all sorts of noises I haven’t heard in a long time, felt sorta queasy and just had an explosive bout of diarrhea which I don’t think will be the only time tonight.. (sorry for the TMI)

Outside of the bowel discomfort I feel fine.. but Is this normal reaction? Did I go too hard into it? Was it the excessive fat all of a sudden or the meat proteins that my body no longer has the enzymes for? Was eating an entire 0.6lb strip steak too much for a typical paleo meal? I know I gotta start counting macros and doing that work for myself to get more keen to what is a good balance for me and figure out how much I want to be into ketosis, etc. I’m a newby to this approach.

I am literally reading Robb Wolf’s ‘Wired to Eat’ book right now..I just paused my reading to write this post, I haven’t gotten to the whole30 reset part just yet.. but something tells me I done goofed just thinking I could do this to my body. But also concerned that maybe this is a sign that whole-food/plant-based (vegan) diet is more ideal for me maybe..? Has anyone else experienced this? Would throwing some probiotics like kimchi or sauerkraut help?

Sorry for the newb questions.. but I’m so excited to hopefully reap the benefits from all the good feedback I’ve seen about LCHF diets that I just had to stop reading Robb Wolf’s book and ask you folks for some answers. Thanks in advance for your help and attention.

submitted by /u/wholenewday
[link] [comments]



from WordPress https://ift.tt/2GZuufK
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment